The heart, the arteries, the veins—what is their purpose? Just by exploring some of the basic functions that blood performs, it opens the door to exploring how much we can influence the performance of those functions by our dietary and lifestyle choices.
The heart, the arteries, the veins—what is their purpose? When all is said and done, they are merely a support system, a transportation system if you will, for blood. The cardiovascular system has only one purpose—to move blood through the body. By definition that makes blood pretty important, and as befits its importance, it is a vast topic.
So what exactly is blood? A big surprise for most people is that your blood is actually an organ, like your liver and kidneys. In other words, it is a “group of tissues of different kinds” that functions as one system and that performs a “specific” function or group of functions. Blood serves three primary functions in the human body; transportation, protection, balance—what doctors call homeostasis. In addition to transportation, blood also plays several “protective” roles in the body.
Just by exploring some of the basic functions that blood performs, it opens the door to exploring how much we can influence the performance of those functions by our dietary and lifestyle choices.
Enjoy Jon Barron’s newsletter series on the health of your blood:
- Blood of my Ancestors – Blood Types & Blood Tests
- Blood, It’s Thicker Than Water – Importance of Healthy Blood
- Blood of my Blood – Purpose of the Cardiovascular System
Articles on blood health & blood cleansing:
- Cleansing Your Blood – Barron Report
- The Liver Detox – Detox Program
- Tick Parasite in Blood Transfusions – Blog
- Blood Transfusions May Have Killed Millions – Newsletter
- Bloodletting and Leeches, Blood Health – Blog
- Air Pollution Leads to Blood Clots – Blog
- Arteries and Veins – Newsletter
- The Anatomy of the Heart – Newsletter
- Secrets of the Heart – Newsletter
- Optimizing Your Lymph System – Newsletter
- The Growth of Cardiovascular Disease – Newsletter
- The Anger-Pain Connection – Blog
- New Aspirin Study – Podcast
For more supportive information please visit our Heart Health Program!