No one knows what causes interstitial cystitis. Because IC varies so much in symptoms and severity, most researchers believe that it may actually be several diseases. One theory being studied is that IC is an autoimmune response following a bladder infection. Another theory is that there are substances in urine which are irritating to people with IC. Other theories are also being studied. Interstitial cystitis is different from urinary tract infections, which are caused by bacteria and can be treated with antibiotics. Studies have shown that antibiotics are not useful for treating IC.
Natural Treatments For Interstitial Cystitis
With that said, we can see that the Baseline of Health® approach is more likely to have results than most any other approach since it addresses so many possible causes. For example:
- Raising pH can help by changing the acidity of the urine. There are a number of ways to do this. Coral calcium will work as well as any of them.
- Using proteolytic enzymes between meals can help clear up circulating immune complexes, which can promote autoimmune conditions. Another advantage to using a solid detoxing regimen of proteolytic enzymes is that it can actually help eliminate the scar tissue in the urinary that often is so often a contributing factor in the discomfort of IC.
- Also, using L. Carnosine and cetyl-myristoleate can help modulate immune responses.
- Using a strong systemic antioxidant formula can help repair damage to internal tissue.
- DMSO is the only FDA-approved bladder instillation drug for interstitial cystitis. It helps relax the bladder and alleviate pain and inflammation. Some research suggests that more than half of patients improve after six weeks of once-a-week treatments.
Again, think Baseline of Health®rather than magic bullets. With that said, one shot you may want to take is to try using some chanca piedra — just in case small kidney stones are contributing to the problem. If that is an issue, the chanca piedra can help in 2-3 days.
Note: one other thing you will want to check is if you are suffering from a hormonal allergy to either estrogen or progesterone. It should not be a surprise that hormones might be involved. 90% of all IC sufferers are women.