Candida is a yeastlike fungus commonly found in the normal flora of the mouth, skin, intestinal tract, and vagina, which can become clinically infectious in people with compromised immune systems.
Question: I have candida. What do you recommend?
Answer: This is the third question today on candida. It’s obviously time to post an answer on the blog.
First of all, it’s probably worth briefly discussing what a candida infection is. Candida is a yeastlike fungus commonly found in the normal flora of the mouth, skin, intestinal tract, and vagina, which can become clinically infectious in people with compromised immune systems.
Keep in mind, that you can never totally rid yourself of candida. It’s present in everyone…always. What you want to do, though, is shut down candida overgrowth — to push it back to normal levels — and build up your immune system so that it stays there. To do this, I usually recommend:
- Clean out your intestinal tract with an intestinal detox.
- Do a heavy metal detox in combination with the intestinal cleanse. Heavy metal toxicity contributes to candida problems. Check out this article and Metal Magic.
- Boost your immune system.
- Take supplements with a heavy dose of garlic and/or olive leaf extract such as Super ViraGon. I suggest starting with a bottle a day for the first two days, then 10 droppers a day for the next two weeks.
- Oil of oregano and grapefruit seed extract are also useful. Also in Super ViraGon.
- A product called Kolorex, which is a specific for candida.
- Rebuild your intestinal flora with a beneficial bacteria formula (a probiotic) — that works for you.
- And of course, diet matters. Candida thrives on sugars and alcohols. At least while trying to get rid of the infection, you need to eliminate all high glycemic foods.
- Finally, you might consider incorporating digestive enzymes that contain BOTH cellulase and hemicellulase as they work by digesting the cell wall of the candida, which is comprised primarily of fiber.
You also might want to consider aloe vera juice, which has traditionally been used for alleviating digestive problems, it gently encourages the growth of friendly bacteria, and soothes irritated tissues throughout the intestinal tract.